Baseball is generally considered a safe sport but it involves the risk of being injured by the ball or the bat that can smack you in full swing. Protective gear is used by most players. Protective gear used in baseball cannot prevent every possible mishap but it reduces the chances of any major injury. Also, the players are confident enough to play the game with focus.
Protective gear diverts the attention of the players from the damages done by a flying hardball or bat swing. The catcher and batter wear protective gear to protect themselves from any hazard.
Before you look for protective gear for baseball, make sure that you are looking for the right protective gear for yourself. For this purpose, you should be looking for batting gloves, helmets, elbow guards, shin guards, etc. If you are playing as a batter, you are playing in the front line and you need protective gear more than just a helmet. You will be needing the helmet, face guard, leg guard, arms or elbow guard, chest guard, etc.
The helmet protects your head from injury in the game. The pitcher might throw the ball at 100 miles per hour and if it hits your head, you can have a severe head injury. To avoid it, you must be wearing a batting helmet. You should be wearing it at batting time or running at the bases. No one can predict where the ball will go. Things you should be considering while buying a helmet are:
- The helmet should be a perfect size. It should not be smaller or larger than your head size. Otherwise, it will be causing trouble while batting.
- If it is having an ear shield and face guard, they must be attached properly with the helmet.
- To keep the helmet in its place, it should be having a chin strap and the helmet should be in good condition.
The catcher’s helmet is important for the opponent player in the position of catching. After the batter, the pitcher targets the catcher. While playing baseball, if the batter misses the ball, the catcher catches it. Hence, a catcher can also get a head injury because of the speed of the ball. The head injuries can be severe. To avoid them, a catcher must be wearing a catcher’s helmet.
They are also available as catcher’s masks that protect the face and both sides of the head. They are similar to the ice hockey goaltender’s helmet.
The chest is a highly sensitive part while playing any game. It is more prone to injuries. The ball traveling at 100 miles per hour speed can be dangerous for the chest. If it hits the chest, a life-threatening injury can take place. For baseball players, it is recommended to wear a full-length chest protector to avoid any severe injury. Things you should be considering while buying a chest protector are:
- It should be of full length.
- The quality of the chest protector should be good enough to reduce the impact of a high-speed ball.
Another important part of the body that needs protection while playing baseball is the elbow. The dominant arm gets most of the noncontact injuries. The position of the batter is in a way that if there is a delay in swinging the bat, the high-speed moving ball hits the elbow. As a result, you might be having a broken elbow.
To avoid elbow injuries, you must be wearing an elbow guard. Things you should be considering while buying an elbow guard are:
- It should be lighter and stronger.
- It should not be bulky.
- The covering area should be sufficient to avoid injuries.
- It should not hinder the movement of the player.
- To too tight or loose.
Legs also require protection from the injuries caused in the baseball. If a high-speed moving ball hits your legs or shin bone, your fragile leg bones would hurt the most. A broken leg bone hurts the most because all the bodyweight happens to balance on your legs.
Leg guards are available in different designs, materials, and shapes. Also, some leg guards protect your whole leg including the knee. Before you buy a shin or leg guard, make sure that you are considering the following things:
- It fits perfectly for perfect leg movement.
- It should not hinder the movement of the leg during gameplay.
- It should be having a triple-knee design
- It should be having perforated padding
- It should be lightweight and comfortable
Protective Cups or Baseball Cups
To keep your groin area safe while playing baseball, you should be wearing protective cups. The cups are designed in a way that they can take the impact without hurting the internal organs. All the players in the baseball game are at risks such as batter, catcher, pitcher, and infielders. Any player can face testicular injuries.
To protect the groin area, you must be wearing a protective cup. Before you buy protective cups, make sure that you are considering the following things:
- The size of the protective cup should be perfect to cover male or female genitals.
- The cushioning should be soft for better protection.
- The high-standard quality of the cup reduces the impact.
- It should be a wide, deep, and flat cup.
Protective Gear – Make Sure You Are Safe on Baseball Field
The protective gear for the pitcher, batter, and catcher is necessary. The ball pitched by the pitcher can be moving at 100 miles per hour. If it hits anyone, a severe injury can happen and sometimes death. Make sure that you are wearing the necessary protective gear. It will protect your head, arms and elbow, chest, legs, feet, and groin area. The best protective gear has been mentioned for your safety.